Thursday, February 18, 2010

Second transfer, new companion

Dear Mom and Dad,

Notice that my new e-mail account is miles.parker@myldsmail.net .The Church had to update the myldsmail site so my address changed.
Can you send my other journal? I finished my first one a week or two ago.

Dinners here are amazing. Everyone in the ward can
cook. I never knew that Mexican cuisine could be THIS good!

Weather here is pretty hot--the coldest its' gotten is in the 40s. I am in the desert though. They say in the summer, it easily hits 115 degrees. The cool thing is that the shade actually works. You CAN feel a difference as you walk into the shadows of walls, buildings, and the occasional tree. We had transfers this past Tuesday and Elder Couoh has gone back home to Mexico. My new companion is Elder Gonzalez. He is AMAZING! He's a convert of only two years, and his teaching and testimony are fantastic!

Well, I'm now starting my second transfer. I don't know if you heard, but we had our first baptism last Friday. We're working on two more. The problem isn't that they don't want to be baptized, the problem is that they want to be baptized this transfer. Let me fill you in on this mission. The Nevada Las Vegas mission is the highest baptizing mission in the US (next to Salt Lake) and is also in the top 90% in the world. You wanna know how we do it? LTMs (Lessons Taught with a Member present). This has been the key to our success. Last year, the NLV mission had 1100 baptisms. This is made possible through an increased focus on members present when teaching investigators. It is a good help to the investigators. Also, Preach My Gospel is a very good source. I would exhort you to use it. Start reading it as a family if you haven't yet. It's a fantastic guide to helping us understand the importance of doing missionary work, and also how to do it. Pres. Christensen is an inspired man and I can feel his Spirit strongly.

So here's my spiritual thought. Do you remember Cristina Mendoza--the one who lived with all sorts of people of bad influence? Well, we baptized her last week and she's doing fantastic. She's really happy in her new home, away from the bad influences. She's got a wonderful spirit, which actually brings me to my thought:
We went back to her old place to teach her friend who still lived there. I have to say, I did NOT feel good. When I entered the apartment, I got this awful feeling of bitterness, coldness, and anger. This goes to prove that people, when worthy, can become vessels for the Spirit. Even though the TV was always on,kids running around, and the grouchy old Cuban lady kept yelling every now and then;...when Cristina was in the house, there was a Spirit of hope, love, and peace that presided amidst the chaos.
That's why it's important to live right and be worthy. Not just for ourselves,but for the sake of our homes and families as well.

The reason why emails have been short(despite the whole hour that I have) is because I only have one hour to email all of you, and Pres. Christensen. The computer isn't timed, but I'm trying to be obedient...that's the key to having the spirit with you. I also know that you guys will be blessed if I am obedient as well.

I love you all very much. You are in my prayers.
Thank you for your love and support. Cuidate!

Con mucho amor,
Elder Parker

No comments:

Post a Comment