Sunday, January 17, 2010

Taken from emails to Mom & Dad - January 14

Hello Dad!

Glad to hear that you're all doing well. I'm doing pretty well too. This first week in the battlefield has been fantastic. But it's flown by pretty quickly though. It seems like yesterday that I arrived.

I actually got some eggnog on Christmas. One of the Elders in my district in the MTC got hold of some, somehow. Oh man, lemme tell you, it was great!

Yeah Dad, a bottle of hot sauce doesn't sound too bad. I think I would like you to send one of those. I had a certain kind of BBQ sauce yesterday on my sandwich. It's called Devil's Spit. I'm going to get some and send it to you. It's pretty darn good.

I love you very much Dad. And I miss you guys too. Don't worry about it though. I'll be back before you know it. I hope this doesn't go by too quickly...this is great!

Con mucho amor,
Elder Parker

Hi Mom!

My companion, Elder Couoh is quite a guy, he's really a great companion. He's only got one more month left so I'm glad I got him. His native dialect isn't that much different. It's the accents that kill me. Spanish is pretty hard... I can speak it pretty well, but you're right about the dialects. There are so many different dialects and accents. I can speak it pretty well (for a gringo). The hard part is understanding it. Some people pronounce the "ll" and the "y" as a J, and some people don't pronounce the "S". On top of that, Spanish speakers are known for their rapid- fire speaking. But I know that the Lord prepares whom he calls, and I have been called to serve in this mission and I have been called to speak this language.

No snow here. Yes, my first area is in Las Vegas proper. In fact, that's where most of the mission work takes place. Elder Couoh has been in the city for 18 months. We get to go to the temple once a transfer. I think we are going next week.

I'm exercising everyday, and I have no time to snack. Breakfast and lunch are small, so I don't think I'll be gaining weight. I'll do what I can to avoid it. Oh, you can send me my meds via mail too -- they said that that was fine.

I agree, emails are definitely a blessing. I'm so happy I can email to you each week.

Oh, before I go, could you email my blog address to my Branch presidency from the MTC? These guys and their wives are amazing. They all reminded me so much of you guys. That's why I loved them. They helped me feel at home at the MTC. Oh, just to let you know though--Pres. Lindsey's wife died two weeks ago, while I was in the MTC. She was a spectacular woman. I'm grateful I got to meet her. She was the one most like you Mom.

I love you Mom. Take care, and please stay safe.
Elder Parker

No comments:

Post a Comment