Sunday, July 18, 2010

July 15th, 2010

Thanks for the update on all that's been happening. I'm glad that you've all been enjoying the pool. Make sure you do a little splashing for Elder Parker who can't swim, and is in the desert. lol
The bike is awesome! It really does ride well. Steve Gines (Mormon bike guy for this area) came over to take a look at it. He said that the bike that they got me (a Diamondback Edgewood) is a really good bike. I'm psyched to have it! It's very comfortable and it rides smoothly. Thank you for letting the Todd's help me. I know the Lord will bless them for the service.
We finally set someone for baptism! We got a text referral for a younger couple. They were a little standoffish at first, but they are extremely friendly. We taught them a couple times and invited them to church. Mom, I'm telling you that they absolutely LOVED it. We told some of the members that they were coming. When they came, we introduced them to some of the members of the ward. It makes a world of difference when investigators are welcomed into the church on their first Sunday and other Sundays after that.
I'm glad you sent me that part from Stefanie's blog. I've actually been thinking about humility in the past week. In the last Zone Conference, the main point was about being master teachers (a different one from the King Benjamin one). President Christensen pulled me aside ( he could tell that I was a little down -I doubt my abilities as a teacher) and told me that I was an amazing missionary, and that he doesn't know what he needs to do to help me see it. He told me that I can't be too hard on myself. I wrote him that P-day with an experience that I had while studying humility. This is what he wrote in response:

"Elder Parker, I'm sending this clip from your email back to you because I want you to read it every Thursday for the rest of the transfer. It is inspired.

Love
President Christensen"

(what I wrote in the email):
"I get down on myself a lot, and sometimes I don't try to see what I'm doing well. I think I get that from my dad. He said that sometimes he is his own worst enemy. That's how I think about myself at times. I remember though, something that I learned while I was studying humility. I realized that TRUE humility is seeing yourself as God sees you. Bragging about yourself is trying to put yourself higher, and beating yourself up only brings you lower. Both are symptoms of PRIDE, because you are trying to change your true value. Not once did Christ speak low of Himself, nor did He try to make Himself higher than others. He taught humbly that He was the way."

This is something that I've learned about humility. We can't be humble and beat ourselves down at the same time. By doing so we put ourselves at the top of the "natural man" list. (Pres. C. told me that). We need to humbly accept that we are not a lost cause and that we CAN do it. The Lord CAN strengthen us. NOTHING is impossible for Him. Like Stefanie, I too had a problem with the language (I still do). I wondered if I was only hindering the work. But my district leader, Elder Pinto, talked to me about that. The Lord used people like Moses and Enoch (who were "slow of speech") to prove that he can take an imperfect and talentless boy, and turn him into a powerful, humble, and faithful man, worthy to work miracles and teach with power and authority from God. I don't know if I'll perform miracles on my mission, nor do I know that I'll receive visions from angels, but I DO know that God can take this imperfect, obsessive lad with Tourette's and turn him into a master teacher. It's really hard to keep confidence at times, but I know I can do it.

Take care and be happy. Don't let the small things get hold of you. Take things one step at a time. Diane sent me a letter and in it she said that "worrying is like rocking a rocking chair: you have a whole lot of motion, but you don't get anywhere."
I love you!

con mucho amor,
Elder Parker

3 comments: